Put the Blame on Meme

Vince Keenan.com opened up this fun movie nerd meme (look it up). I normally resist these damn things like a vampire sidestepping garlic, but I can't turn down this quick-and-dirty movie-nerd fix...Feel free to play along.

1. Name a movie that you have seen more than 10 times.

Casablanca, Suspiria, Star Wars.

2. Name a movie that you’ve seen multiple times in the theater.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, John Carpenter's The Thing, Aliens

3. Name an actor who would make you more inclined to see a movie.

Peter Cushing, Humphrey Bogart, Marjoe Gortner, Emma Thompson, Pam Grier, Russell Crowe, Clint Howard, Johnny Depp.

4. Name an actor who would make you less likely to see a movie.

Kevin Costner.

5. Name a movie that you can and do quote from.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. As I've said before, as quotable as Casablanca or Pulp Fiction. "Lick my plate, you dog dick!"

6. Name a movie musical from which you know all the lyrics to all the songs.

None, but West Side Story, Calamity Jane, and Singin' in the Rain come close.

7. Name a movie that you have been known to sing along with.

Just between you and me, there's this putrescent Yahoo Serious comedy, Young Einstein. It's dreadful, but it's got a great soundtrack of Aussie underground rock from the eighties. I was working at a video store around 1990, and yes, I sang along with The Lime Spiders' "Weirdo Libido" at the top of my lungs. When no one else was around.

8. Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see.

Grindhouse, the exhilarating homage to seventies drive-in cinema double features that American moviegoers are apparently too stupid to appreciate.

9. Name a movie that you own.

Dawn of the Dead (original). And a few hundred others, God help me.

10. Name an actor who launched his/her career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops.

David Bowie. And Charo.

11. Have you ever seen a movie at a drive-in? If so, what?

I was lucky enough to grow up in a time (and town) that had a couple of drive-in theaters, all of which were thoughtful enough to stay alive until I graduated high school. At the 112th Street Drive-In in Parkland I thrilled to Heavy Metal and Mighty Peking Man (on the same double bill!); And thanks to my fevered nine-year old pleas, my entire family took in The Giant Spider Invasion and Twilight People at the Star-Lite. The latter combo has provided grist for my dad's running-gag mill for thirty-two years and counting.

12. Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven’t gotten around to yet.

Amelie, City of God, Pan's Labyrinth.

13. Ever walked out of a movie?

John Carpenter's Vampires. Maybe it was the mood I was in, but the first twenty minutes left a badly misogynistic taste in my mouth. The fact that I only paid two buck for it made leaving a lot easier.

14. Name a movie that made you cry in the theater.

ET. Admit it, it made you cry. It made me cry. And when I first saw it in a theater at age 14, I bore witness as it made two burly servicemen with biceps the size of my skull cry.

15. Popcorn?

God help me, sometimes yes.

16. How often do you go to the movies (as opposed to renting them or watching them at home)?

Not nearly as much as I'd like. I average about once a month.

17. What’s the last movie you saw in the theater?

Hot Fuzz. Quaint character-centric British comedy meets Bruckheimer-palooza. It's pure joy. And American audiences are apparently to stupid to enjoy it, too.

18. What’s your favorite/preferred genre of movie?

Horror, by a country mile.

19. What’s the first movie you remember seeing in the theater?

Like Vince Keenan, my first recollection of a film in a theater was Walt Disney’s Dumbo, at a theater in Moses Lake, Washington. I couldn't have been more than five, and my mom, brother and I lingered afterwards. The next feature: Ralph Bakshi's Fritz the Cat. My mom had a lot of explaining to do regarding Fritz's vernacular as she hustled us out of the auditorium.

20. What movie do you wish you had never seen?

Roland Emmerich's 1998 remake of Godzilla.

21. What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed?

That adjective could be applied to about a third of my DVD collection, so we'll just go with one of the most recent: The Devil's Sword.

22. What is the scariest movie you’ve seen?

The original Psycho, the original The Haunting, Suspiria, the original Nosferatu.

23. What is the funniest movie you’ve seen?

All-timers would be Bringing Up Baby, Airplane, and Young Frankenstein. Most recent: Borat.

Tag. You're it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Re-Issued Audio Yummies: Easybeats, ELO, and Divinyls

An Interview with Joe Dallesandro

Character Actor Heaven: Hollywood Collectors Show, Feb 2005