30-Day Song Challenge, Day 14: A Song that No One would Expect you to Love

Well, now that I've admitted my fondness for the Spice Girls, there really isn't much of anything that'll surprise folks who stray across this blog. Considering my propensity for music that's outside the mainstream much of the time, though, my fondness for this song might be a surprise.

A lot of folks worship Tom Petty pretty slavishly, and I've never been one of them. He's written a few great songs, but those efforts have often (for me, at least) been superceded by that mewling Dylan whine and (I'm sorry, but it's true) those teeth that appear too massive for that horse-face of his.

But, again, he's written some great songs, and this one--"Here Comes My Girl"--is probably my favorite. With all the tension in those coiled guitar chords and the spoken-word interludes, it sounds like Lou Reed with a libido. I'm still waiting for someone who can, you know, really sing, to cover this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Re-Issued Audio Yummies: Easybeats, ELO, and Divinyls

An Interview with Joe Dallesandro

Character Actor Heaven: Hollywood Collectors Show, Feb 2005